Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Running with God

I wouldn't say that running is a passion for me. I would say that it is a love-like relationship though. Some days I really can't wait to go for a run and other days I just go and like my run. One thing that I love about running is the time I get with God. He seems to really poor thoughts and ideas, visions and dreams while we are running together. Maybe it is the fresh air, or the sky or the trees or just the fact that He gave me a body that is able to run. Whatever it is, I get clarity from Him while we are running.

Yesterday was a special day though that doesn't happen always that you need to hear about...

As I headed out on a beautiful day, I started to feel a heaviness; condemnation, accusation, that sort of heaviness. Thoughts of disqualification, "who are you to think that you can...". I think you know those thoughts. Those thoughts flowed for 15 minutes or so until I took authority in Christ over them and cast them out. I then began a conversation with my running partner, God, about why, about truth and is He really real...

As I was running along this path I noticed that as the wind blew through the trees, here and there, some leaves were falling. I asked God to show me that He is real by allowing me to catch a leaf as it was falling! I know, what was I thinking, but you know, God can do that if He wants. So as I ran I could see leaves falling ahead of me but nothing remotely close to me. So what does a human do? I began to hedge my bets, I said, "God I don't really need to catch a leaf to know you are real, it's OK if you don't want to do that." Me of little faith! In a stern voice I heard, open your palms to me. OK, so I am now running with my palms up. "You are my son, know that I am God, I will provide what you need." Very powerful. I understand that faith is what I need...

So I keep running and make my turn and as I do, the song "Be the Center" comes on my Ipod and God says, this is for you. It is a powerful song, "be the fire in my heart", "the wind in these sails", "the reason that I live". God says, listen to this song, its for you, look around, the sky, the trees, the air, creation, it is all for you! I am in tears, it's true, He is real and I don't need a leaf to prove it...

As the song nears the end and God has blessed me with this incredible sense of His presence and His love, He says one last thing to me. When this song ends I will provide you with your leaf, raise you hand and the leaf will be given to you. Yeah, that was my thought too, I don't need it, I just experienced you in a huge way. But that isn't how God rolls! I thought, well I will raise my hand up and pluck off a leaf from a tree that is hanging over the path. But as I look ahead I don't see any branches that are low enough, so I trust that He will provide it...

As the song ends, I do as instructed, I reach up in the air with my right hand, no branches in reach, but there, as I reach, is one single brown leaf, suspended in mid-air by a single spider web that has dropped down 10ft from the trees above...

I nearly dropped to my knees...He is God...He is Real...Look for Him today...

No comments:

Post a Comment